Friday, March 18, 2011

"American History" Narrative

My name is Elena and I live in the tenement known as El Building with other Puerto Rican families. I go to Public School Number 13, where I get made fun of by the other girls for being skinny.  I spend a lot of time watching the house next door where Eugene moved in.  We both enjoyed reading, and I immediately liked him.  We used to go to the library to pick out books and walk home after school together.  We were both made fun of, being called “Skinny Bones and the Hick.”  One day, we were given extra time for PE and didn’t know why. Our PE teacher came out in tears, telling us that Kennedy was shot.  We were sent home an hour early.  That same day, Eugene asked me to study for a history test.  I decided to still go, but my mother said she wanted me to stay home out of respect for Kennedy’s death.  I went over Eugene’s house, his mother turned me away because I lived in El Building.  I was deeply saddened and went home crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment